Thrifty Christmas Decorating with Cedar Boughs

Happy Holidays

I know it’s early but I don’t care.
It goes so fast and I am going to savor
every. little. drop.

I want to show you a pretty, thrifty way
to decorate at Christmastime and how
you can use fresh Cedar boughs
to add holiday cheer to your home.

It’s easy. It’s inexpensive.
(often free if you can trim your own)
And.. it’s smells so good!

Plus, if you’re like me your trying to decide on a theme or look.. and this might help.

I don’t know what we’ll end up with
this year since we put in the new
repurposed counter tops?

This look is really easy to duplicate and
can be achieved for very little money.
I started by laying out 2 strings of
C-7 clear white Christmas bulbs on my counter top
in a back and forth S shape.
>you want the C-7 size, the minis just aren’t bright enough<
Then I layered lots of fresh cut Cedar on top.
After my base of Cedar was laid down…

I added glass vases, candle sticks, a wire basket, a lantern, and other everyday items like my muffin tin. You can add just about anything to adjust it to your needs and color preference. Nothing I used was expensive.

Then I went about making them Christmas-y by loading them all up with ornaments.
Big & small in red & silver.
I found some vintage ornaments while out thrifting {my favorites} and I added those too!

Even the old “ornament hanger” box was used.

These are some of my vintage
Shiny Bright ornaments.

These vintage ornaments were picked up
at Goodwill & Salvation Army
for no more then $1.00 for six and
as little as .49 cents for as many as ten!

I love how when I look at them, they take me back to my grandparents house, and I can see their Christmas tree,
and I remember what it felt like to be a kid.
They offer contentment.
I love to use Candy Canes too.
Again, sweet memories.

I like how affordable they are.
That’s always a bonus!

Holidays at our house are pretty stress free. We’ll be hosting Thanksgiving and
my sister in law will host Christmas.
Austin will have holiday concerts.. my nephew is going to be in a play, my niece will be home from college, and next thing you know..
it’ll be over.
I’m looking forward to enjoying the season and all the days to come.

Today 11/3; I am thankful for quiet time to reflect.

Thrifty Christmas Decorating with Cedar Boughs

Comments

comments

Comments

I remember that gorgeous Christmas vignette and how it just magically glowed! Just might have to add “one” more strand of lights somewhere and duplicate this!!!!

Shannon – your Christmas decor is just so sweet and cozy and full of charming memories! Cedar boughs are my favorite greens to use at this time of year. They’re neat and flat and smell so good! Thanks for the inspiration! I’m ready to start decorating! :)

xoxo laurie

Shannon, you can’t possibly know just how magical and gorgeous this really is! I’m so glad that I came across your post on this lovely, November Saturday morning! I now want to decorate using cedar boughs, too! I’ll have to see if I can get/purchase some clippings from the nursery near my home. Thanks so much for this inspiration.

It all looks so lovely Shannon.
    I like to use candy canes in my decorating too, especially in the kitchen, but the Christmas fairy keeps eating them. She thinks I don’t know who it is…. but those empty wrappers in her room are a bit of a giveaway :)

Soooo pretty, Shannon! I, too, love vintage ornaments and how they remind us of Christmas’ past … yours are beautiful! (Might have to take a trip to Good Will!) And, I love how you placed them in a cupcake tin(?). I love tucking in cedar here and there … your vignette is gorgeous!

It’s so incredibly gorgeous! Fresh greenery is beautiful on the eyes, but a horror for my pitiful nose! It’s going to be faux green here for sure…

OK…first of all I think this is stunning. And I didn’t even know about the brighter C7 lights. You are so smart! Then…I adore cedar. I don’t have anywhere to cut it for free so I usually buy a few bunches from the garden store. I add it to faux greenery to get a more natural look. Last, I think your vintage ornaments are perfect. Good memories for sure. I loved this post Shannon…thanks for sharing.

Good Morning Shannon, You have made me feel like Christmas is just around the corner. I love red and green for Christmas time, my absolute favourite colours. Using cedar is a lovely idea as the smell will permeate the house. Here in England, we tend to start thinking about decorating on 1st December…. I should not wish my life away, but I am looking forward to the 1st. Have a lovely Sunday. Best Wishes Daphne

Oh, Shannon. You’re so on to me and my tactics this year. I have a huge cedar hedge running along the side of my house and my plan is pretty much to bring a whole bunch of clippings in and see where it takesme as far as a decorating direction for this year. The good news is that you can’t really go wrong with it! Yours looks so beautiful!