Vintage Halloween Tin Can Craft
What? Too soon?
This is soooo me. I can’t get into Fall, and then I charge headlong into a Halloween craft. Typical.
Sorry, but I’m not a plan-y sort of girl. I have to do what I’m in the mood for.. and the mood struck.
I was looking for that perfect little something, to fit right in a specific spot, and I thought.. a cute can, that’ll work.
Cheap, easy, and I’ve got all the fixin’s on-hand.
I grabbed some crepe paper streamers and plugged in my glue gun!
(I will seriously mourn when that thing kicks the bucket)
Any-hoo. If you like cheap & easy, this is the craft for you!
Free tin cans | Dollar Tree crepe paper streamers | Miscellaneous do-dads
This craft has gotta be under $5.00, and that is just right in my book!!
If you want to make some too, you will need:
- Tin Can(s) ( I run mine through the dishwasher first)
- Crepe Paper Streamers (Dollar Store)
- Paint (chalk paint, craft paint.. anything that will stick to metal will work)
- Paint brush
- Misc. Accents – I used some watch faces I’d bought at a garage sale for next to nothing that I’d been hanging onto, a silver pipe cleaner, a vintage shoe clip and an old vintage pin a friend gifted me. (Hello Michelle)
- Accent Ideas: You can use craft/scrap paper, chip board cut outs, buttons, sequins, glitter… whatever you’ve got. Just use your imagination when it comes to the decorating part.
- For this effect, I laid orange and black crepe paper on top of each other and triangle folded back and forth. When you have enough length to wrap the can, secure design with tape to marry the black and orange together.
- Then, wrap can and secure in back. Use tape or glue to secure.
- Add black crepe paper length to can. Secure.
- Fold orange crepe paper over about 70%. Crease.
- Secure to can back.
- Begin pink pleat fold.
- Crease fold.
- Secure the newly folded pleat with a tiny drop of glue to itself. (the orange to the orange.)
- Then, glue the new pleat section to the black paper, and the can.
- Repeat until can is wrapped.
- You’ll need a length of paper twice the circumference of the can for this.
- To get the flip, I cut short sections of paper, and sliced the cuts against the grain of the crepe paper.
- Tape to additional paper as shown.
- Wrap can, with tape side against can.
- Tape or glue to secure.
Embellish as desired. (the FUN part!)
I liked using the streamers because they instantly gave the project an old school, vintage flavor!
I had “the witching hour” in mind when I used my little watch faces, and not much more, I just fiddled around.
These are silly, useless and just for fun.
They sure are great for holding those cute straws I’ve become enchanted with though…
Every color. Those babies come in every color!
So of course, I want them all 😉
Are you like that too?
You love something, so you want it in every color.
I hope it’s not just me.
Otherwise, I’m in trouble.