DIY Fireplace Mantel and Hearth Makeover
To get to where we are now, we:
Painted the wall over the fireplace
Painted the brick
Built a deeper mantel
Built new frame and installed new hearth tiles
Painted the accent wall over the fireplace with chalkboard paint
Painted the fire box
Installed crown molding
- Clean brick. A TSP solution works great.
- Tape off mantel area.
- Cover and protect surfaces from overstay.
- Use spray shield (cardboard works great).
- Properly ventilate the area. I opened my front and sun room doors for a cross breeze.
- Coat slowly and evenly, don’t rush. Build your coverage in multiple coats.
Our next step was to build a deeper mantel.
In fact, I encourage it!
More tools = More awesome projects!
- We loved one. (stunning white & grey)
- The other, not so much… (tan and brown. yuck)