How To Christmas Decorate Cheaply
– My Budget Breakdown
Are you guys ready for all my deep, dark secrets to be revealed?
Well too bad! hehe.
Because I’m only spilling the “where I got, and how much it cost” highlights of my holiday home tour today.
Hope you aren’t too disappointed.
I’m going to share what was most commented on or asked about. I think it’s important to share these low budget ideas as this is a particularly expensive time of year.
Let’s get started…
With the PILLOWS!!!! Everyone knows these are a big favorite of mine, and a lot of y’alls too.
1. Snowman Tapestry | HomeGoods $14.99, had forever! I actually shared this with my mom. She used it a few years, and now it’s my turn.
TIP: Share and trade off decor with your decorate-y BFF’s, mom, sister… this is a great way to switch things up without spending money.
2. B&W Big Square Pillow | DIY simple slipcover with about $5 worth of fabric. There are loads of great sewing tutorials out there. I’m a novice. Check out Ann at On Sutton Place for wonderful sewing tips and projects!
3. Chocolate Fur | Ross or HomeGoods $16.99, I did a ton of shopping that day, I can’t recall.
4. B&W Checks | Secret? This is a 15 year old snowman face pillow I flipped to the checkered back side and tied a ribbon on. The ribbon was free, it came wrapped around the new table linens I bought this year! Serious.
5. Post Card Snowman Pillow | Ross, $7.99 (new this year)
– Silver Glitter Santa Boot | HomeGoods, last season.
– North Poles | Those are a DIY! You can find the Dollar Tree tutorial [click here].
– Red glitter star | Dollar Tree, $1.00
– DIY Fancy Light Set | Dollar Tree project, tutorial here.
6. Red Stag Pillow | Ross, $7.99 (new this year)
I wasn’t even looking… anymore.
I gave up on finding an affordable plaid pillow… or anything in a combo of black, white and/or red. This guy was a fate find. I didn’t intend to buy a “Deer” pillow, but his coloring was perfect, and so was the price! I wouldn’t bother DIY’ing a pillow for 8 bucks!
The chair Mr. Deer is sitting on? A DIY! Find the $5 coffee sack makeover here.
1. Vintage Mica Covered Tree | HomeGoods $16.99, most treasured and many years old. I’ve re-glittered it a few times.
2. White Urn | Goodwill 1.99, came filled with an ugly fake plant. I stripped it and painted it.
3. Christmas Sprig | Free, came on a lantern
4. Candle | Secret? This is my Summer Bicycle Candle. I covered the pattern with white paper and wrapped it with Dollar Tree ribbon.
5. Stag Bell | Ross $2.99 (new this year)
6. Basket | Wrapped with scrap fabric and added free greens from my property
TIP: Use things in new ways! That is my Birch Lane mirror on my coffee table being used like an over-sized tray or charger.
1. Wood Tone Mirror | Free. It came with a sideboard I bought on a facebook garage sale site and was a surprise when I picked it up.
2. Red Berry Wreath | I’ve had this for many years. I have those nice hard-plastic wreath cases and they keep all my wreaths so well. I suggest them if you have room.
3. Vintage Wood Frame Mirror | Garage sale $5.00, I repaired the broken back and painted it white.
4. Merry Christmas Sign | DIY, cost pennies, painted on scrap wood.
5. Vintage Christmas Card | School rummage sale, 5ยข for a brand new, vintage box.
6. Silver Tray | FREE, I bought a few things at a yard sale and the lady gave it to me. I filled it with Dollar Tree candy canes.
TIP: If you can clean it, scrub it and disinfect it… take a chance and buy it second hand. All my Silver goodies are all junking finds!
1. Rustic Tan Pedestal | TJ Maxx, $17.99 and it came with a wire cloche lid as well. Total 2’fer!
2. Vintage Silver Dish Pedestal | Hospice Thrift Store, $6.99 (new this year)
3. Holiday Candle Ring | Hospice Thrift Store, $.50 (new this year) It’s soooo well made. I love it!
TIP: Try to focus on the root or base of a piece, sometimes they just need a little tweaking. The white jingle bell is a Dollar Tree ornament I made over with ribbon and bakers twine.
I pinned this exact Frosty Christmas art 2 years ago.
When I saw it at Marshall’s I almost jumped up and down. When I flipped it over and saw the $7.99 price tag, I don’t think I could have been any happier in that moment. It’s dripping with nostalgia and a vintage vibe.
I pretty much adore it.
TIP: Sometimes it pays to be patient! I see lots and lots of things I want, but something within my budget usually comes along and I always like it just as well, maybe even more!
Vintage Fan | estate sale, $5.00
I added a little wreath I’ve had forever, some ribbon I got at World Market, and secured it with a clothespin sporting a bit of washi tape.
TIP: My pal Beth at Unskinny Boppy said it best; “Put a wreath on it”.
I wholeheartedly agree.
1. Two Mini Trees | Joann’s, $7.00 on sale with a 50% off coupon. Flocked with my 5ยข can of snow I got at an estate sale for the vintage can graphics. Right in my kitchen sink.
2. Red Lantern | I’ve had these for years! I got them at a little discount store when I lived in California, can’t recall the name.
3. Blue Books | Bought at a thrift store over the Summer with my mom. We stood in the back of the store and read the insides of many covers… we found so many wonderful musings, saw my grandmother’s name, my moms middle name… it was really very special.
The mantel this year was really simple and consisted of:
1. White Wood Backdrop | Free, pallet wood and some white paint.
2. Wreath | TJ Maxx/HomeGoods … had for several years, maybe.. $29,99? These are the things I’ll spend more on, because they are like a staple, or a base decorating piece. I have them for years and years!
3. Cast Iron Deer | Ross, $2.99 (new this year, the only one in the store!)
Secret? I noticed he had a broken antler section when I got him home so I camouflaged it with a tiny bit of Dollar Tree tinsel garland and a sprig I removed from the Dollar Tree white jingle bell I made over!
4. Candles | Dolllar Tree, $6.00
TIP: There are so many things you can do with those Dollar Tree, $1.00 candles!
Like turn them into snowmen. Get the easy, 1-minute tutorial [click here].
5. Ribbon | Dollar Tree, $1.00 – This ribbon is so very cute! It’s almost got a vintage grain sack vibe with the creamy white color, and the red stripe… which is sort of sequin-y. So glittery-grain sack. The perfect combo.
So my mantel cost $10.00 this year.
Ten bucks guys!!
There are my lanterns.
I use these year round. Best money I ever spent!
– HomeGoods/TJ Maxx | under $20.00
This one got a little of that World Market ribbon and a Dollar Tree berry wreath.
The chippy enamel cup was probably.. gosh, maybe 50ยข at some junk stop, I popped a red candle inside and was done.
It’s one of my favorite things this Christmas.
Plaid Table Linen | TJ Maxx, $7.99
TIP: If you can’t find the larger size you need, layer over a solid color.
BONUS: When the leaf is not in use, it’ll fit perfectly and won’t be too big! I get double use this way
How-to create a Wintery glass forest:
– I filled empty vases, jars, cupcake stands, apothecary jars and even used a cheese dome lid!
– Gather ornaments, mini trees, bottle brush trees, vintage goodies, tiny putz houses and anything special you want to highlight.
– If you run out of “snow” do what I did and substitute with feathers, mini candy canes and peppermints.
Lantern Ornament | WalMart, $1.00
White Fox | World Market, last year
Aqua Candy Can Truck | World Market? or maybe Target, a few dollars. (help me out if you know! I forgot)
Merry Tag | Target, 3 for a $1.00
TIP: Use wood and paint to create fun bases for your tables. Like giant chargers, they elevate your decor, add texture, layers and depth to your decorating!
Square and Oblong shapes are easy, but so are Circles! See how to simply create a ROUND Pallet Charger here.
TIP: We used FREE pallet wood, but fence boards are pretty cheap, and work great too!
Saving money takes a long time. hahaha
I think I’ll be stopping here.
I’ll either do another post on the second part of the tour, or add on to this one!
I’ll make sure to link them under each respective tour, so they are easy to find.
There is just too much info to add all this in the actual tour, so this is the only way I know how to share all this information..
Do you guys still like these breakdowns?
I’d really love feedback so I know if it’s something I should continue doing after tours or big room makeover reveals.
Thanks bunches ahead of time!!
Find the Holiday Home Tour (with more photos) Click Here!
Find MORE Holiday Home Tour (with additional photos) Click Here!