Simple Serving Tray – A Coastal Home Decor DIY
Join me today and learn how to create this very simple serving tray. Painted in aqua, it’s the perfect coastal home decor accent. Easy changes to the color, finish or hardware, make it a versatile project that can suit any home style!
It’s Summahtime… and the livins easy.
Okay, maybe that should read lazy.
Perhaps not completely lazy, we have been busy everyday stuff, spending time with family, making preparations for the new shop build and running our booth down at Vintage 101. I guess my idea of lazy needs some work? I did decide that I was not going to kill myself trying produce blog content this Summer. You may have noticed.
One, because I’m still alive. (sorry, couldn’t resist) And two, I’ve been a little quiet here.
Right now, I’m happy to be late-night blogging bout’ this aqua cutie!
It’s got all the key points of the things I love to share most:
Bonus: It’s aqua!
This tray was easy-breezy to bang out too!
I went into the shop, made it in a jiff, mixed a fun new paint color up for it, and had it completed the next day.
Then it sat. Because I knew I wanted to take pretty photos in order to share it. I’m really falling in love with taking my time and playing with my camera. Now, they aren’t super-fancy, but I was really relaxed taking them. The sun was out and it was a beautiful day!
I’d love to tell you I kicked-up my feet when I was done and cracked open my House Beautiful, but I drank my water… which DOES taste better out of a gold-laden sea turtle glass… and then got distracted doing something else! I get side-tracked easily. hahaha
I got my sea turtle glasses at HomeGoods and they are doubly good because not only are they cute, they remind me of Hawaii. And right now, I’ll take anything that’ll remind me of vacation. We are sorely overdue for one! But still super-blessed so it’s all good.
You know, years ago I realized I didn’t need a full set of six glasses in order to appreciate them! I’ve picked up sets of two a few times now. It’s a silly tiny little thing that I get great enjoyment from.
Kind of like the seascape I found last weekend at a church bazaar. Inexpensive, but no less special.
I should rephrase that. I’m pretty sure it found me!
Because I had no idea I needed a seascape.
Funny how that works isn’t it?
I hope your Summer has been ripe with joy & love!
And free Plums from generous friends.
(that are soooo delicious!)
The Plums, not the friends.
How To Make A Simple Home Decor/Serving Tray:
I am so sorry… I had intended to share a simple tutorial on how to make your own serving tray but for the life of me I can not find the file with the photos I took? I will continue to look for them, but for now I will add text instructions and a few graphics I made for you. I know you probably don’t even need photos, this is an easy one! You got this!!
You will need: Wood, Nails, Handles/Screws.
Optional: Paint, Wax, Decorative Embellishments.
- Place your two vertical short boards on your work surface.
- Line up your long board pieces on top of them, horizontally, with the short boards at each end. Leave a space or squeeze together, however you want it to look! Take your time and square it all up, making adjustments.
- Nail your long boards into you short boards with appropriate length nail. Diagram below.
- Paint &wax, or stain… or whitewash! Whatever look you love will be correct.
- Add handles.
- Embellish if desired!
The great thing about these simple projects is that they are so easy to complete & to customize!! You can use thicker wood, make it longer, wider… paint it any color, stain it… it’s all up to you! I used thin boards, a paint color I created with a few separate Maison Blanche colors & Chalk White Lime Wax.
What will you do???
Me? I’m taking my last two issues of House Beautiful and a Better Homes & Gardens and catching up when I go to get my hair done today!
- Trunk/Coffee Table – Yard Sale
- My sisal rug [click here]
- White Chair – DIY Makeover [click here]
- White Table – DIY Makeover [click here]
- Sea Turtle Glass – HomeGoods
- Sequin Pillow – HomeGoods
- Seascape – Church Bazaar
- Fabric Vase Wrap – Target
- Pineapple Candle – HomeGoods (?)
- Lantern – HomeGoods
- Round Tray – Birch Lane
CUSTOM PAINT MIX FORMULA:
- 50% Maison Blanche Vintage Furniture Paint in Magnolia
- 30% Maison Blanche Vintage Furniture Paint in Colette
- 19% Maison Blanche Vintage Furniture Paint in Riviera
- 1% Wrought Iron (just a pinch!)